Saturday, November 22, 2008

Boring Stuff

No chocolate, so I guess I'll have to work for my reward here. I also have an LJ by the name of [deleted for now] so feel free to drop in any time and peruse my silly blog.

Today, Saturday, is nice and cold -- cousin Brian won't want to be outside in this weather -- and I took this opportunity to try to fix the insulation in the crawlspace under our bedroom. Nothing like a cold floor to remind you that the insulation needs fixing! I'd bought the replacement rolls a while back, along with a heavy duty (i.e., manly) stapler and staples, so after dressing appropriately for the job (two layers of sweatpants, sweatshirt, hooded sweatshirt, thermal vest, hat, headlight, face mask, gloves, two pairs of socks, and heavy boots), I entered the dark domain. It's a dry crawlspace, and now that the "dead bodies" are gone, it's not smelly at all. There were a few spiders near the doorway, so I cleared them out and crawled in. After figuring out how to use the manly stapler -- just needed to squeeze harder than I thought -- I started trying to staple up the new layers of insulation, only to find that my staples were not long enough. Or the insulation is too thick. I need new staples, in any case. I managed to staple up the remnants of the old insulation, which is much thinner in the fluffy part and has a thicker shiny part. This was hanging down from the beams in a few places, so I put those back up. I discovered why the bathtub is so cold: the insulation under it had been pulled down, probably by some of the cable people.

I need to get more longer staples and put the new stuff under the heating duct as well as the bath tub. Then eventually I'll fill in most of the room, which will help us stay a little warmer in the winter. Our room is one of the coldest anyway, as we're around the corner and a room away from the thermostat, so the temperature is based on the front room, not ours. We are dressing warmly for bed, adding quilts and blankets, and wearing socks to avoid walking on a cold floor. It would be nice to have a slightly warmer room.

When M gets back from dropping D at the Scouting project today (someone's working on an Eagle Scout project), we'll go over to Home Depot and Costco for some shopping. In the meantime, I'm hanging out on the computer, waiting for my ride.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

My cousin the fixit queen! Who knew! Can you come hook my icemaker?

Ginger said...

Rephrase that as a surgical maneuver, and I'll be there. Please have the patient prepped, and a place for me to set out my instruments.

:-)

Right now, I'm working on a neurological issue: the tv cable line has corroded at the splitter, and needs a graft. Naturally, this is all in the crawlspace, which is such a lovely place to work.

By the way, I tried to send you an e-card for your birthday, but the email address I had for you bounced (and so did Diane's email). Do you have a better address that you could send to my gmail?

Kevin said...

Our cable company got bought, so our email addresses are now @comcast.net. Before that they were @adelphia.com.

Note the .net part. The 'handle' part of the emails are unchanged.